“The persona is a complicated system of relations between individual consciousness and society, fittingly enough a kind of mask, designed on the one hand to make a definite impression upon others, and, on the other, to conceal the true nature of the individual.” – Carl Jung
Today’s writing prompt will help you think about how the persona manifests in your writing and offer some questions to help guide your exploration of your character’s persona:
- What mask does your character wear?
- What is so core to her/his identity that if something conflicted with or challenged that identity the character would be thrown into disarray?
- What happens when your character’s rigorously adhered to persona does break how does s/he respond?
- What would help the character reclaim her/his identity/persona?
- Who can help her/him or what task would s/he have to achieve or event occur to reestablish the persona?
- After restoring the persona how does your character deal with conflict/challenges differently to demonstrate her/his growth?
Want your writing to be seen by thousands of people?
Write a 500 – 1000 word story incorporating ideas and themes from this week’s blog and send it to me at W.T.Jowett@outlook.com. If your story is selected it will be spotlighted on Friday’s blog. In addition to posting your story, you can provide any websites, twitter accounts, links to books, Facebook pages that you would like to be included following your story so that readers of the blog can follow and support you. I’ll also promote the story on my own twitter and Facebook feeds. The only thing I ask is that I have permission to publish the story on the blog and include it in a free Wattpad eBook (that will also contain all the aforementioned promotions still attached) so that readers of the blog can go back and easily find previous stories.
If you have any questions or comments feel free to email me.